Thread: [Esperanto] Esperanto Encounter
View Single Post
Old August 27, 2011, 01:59 PM
Sapphire

Native Language: US English
wrholt is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPX View Post
Dankon. And yes, I imagine things have changed significantly when it comes to learning resources.

You may find it interesting just to download the course I linked to in my above post and look through it. It's a very small application so the download and installation is really fast.

Also, I've learned that apparently THE site on the Internet for all things Esperanto is en.lernu.net. There are a lot of resources there.

As I said earlier, as a consequence of going through the course I also got a tutor. So I had someone I was kind of accountable to and I'm sure that that helped to keep me going. For those 16 or so days though I almost completely put Spanish on the backburner and it's kind of a relief to get back to learning the language that's REALLY important to me right now. I definitely intend to keep up my Esperanto studies as a hobby, though. The general consensus seems to be that if you put just a little bit of time into it every day then you should have some pretty solid skills within about 3 months.
I'll keep the app in mind, but I think I'll pass on downloading it for the moment. Taking about 3 months sounds about right to me, too.

Quote:
According to this:

http://esperanto-usa.org/node/449

. . . there should be an Esperanto club here in Salt Lake, but the web address renders a 404 and the e-mail I sent to the e-mail address went unresponded to, so my guess is that they have shut down.

I'm going to keep looking, but if I can't find anyone locally it shouldn't be a huge problem. The Internet is full of people trying to learn the language and it shouldn't be a big problem to find people to chat with on forums, via e-mail, and via Skype.
It's too bad that the nearest club to you appears to be moribund right now. But your right, there are plenty of people all over the world who are ready and willing to practice using the language.

Quote:
Awesome!

Well let me ask you. . .

When you studied the language way back when, do you remember learning about the accusative and the correlatives?

Those have both caused me a lot of problems. . .
Yes, and probably yes. Basically the accusative can be equivalent to using ANY preposition.

And correlatives? By those do you mean the prefixes ci- (missing reverse caret), ti-, ki-, neni- and the nine part-of-speech suffixes such as -o -a, -e, -el, -al, -u, -am, and so on?