Thread: Tagalog
View Single Post
Old October 01, 2010, 07:35 AM
Emerald

Native Language: Bicol/Tagalog; English = second language
vita32 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by poli View Post
I have heard Phillipinos speaking and was sure that their speech was peppered with Spanish vocabulary. Do you find this to be true? I have read that there is a Phillipino language called Chabacano which is largely
Spanish. I don't know how widely spoken it is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by irmamar View Post
I find difficult Tagalog (tagalo, in Spanish ), although I can see some Spanish words (miembro, gusto, sitiong). Y me gusta cómo se dice el siete: pito (whistle, horn).
It is true that Spanish words are mixed in with the different dialects. It seems that Filipinos cannot compose a whole paragraph of native dialect without the use of one or two Spanish words. But this is as it should be, it only reflects our history.

I'm aware of the Chavacano/chabacano language but I have not had the chance to hear native speakers of this.

@Irmamar,
It's good, you recognize the Spanish words in my sentence with native suffix added to it. "Kumusta" or "Kumusta 'ka" is also a Filipinized version of "Como estas". Whistle (noun) = silbato; whistle (verb) = sipol; horn = sungay. The Filipino word sungay refers only to the literal horn (of animals) but not to the sound that it makes.

http://filipinokastila.tripod.com/chaba3.html

All corrections are appreciated.

Last edited by vita32; October 01, 2010 at 11:07 AM. Reason: to add a link.