View Single Post
Old May 04, 2010, 11:37 AM
Diamond

Native Language: Spanish (Castilian, peninsular)
JPablo is on a distinguished road
Hi there, poli.
Thank you for the contribution. It is funny, I never thought of the expression the way you give it, but it definitely its point of agreement.
I am not totally sure if you mean "que se acerca al dicho que dijo su mamá" or "acerca del dicho que dijo su mamá". (Ie. "close to the saw his mom said" or "about the saw his mom said".)
Otherwise, in the "freedictionary" in the net they give this definition, for "cross the Rubicon" (quote) Fig. to do something that inevitably commits one to following a certain course of action. (Alludes to the crossing of the River Rubicon by Julius Caesar with his army, which involved him in a civil war in B.C. 49.) Jane crossed the Rubicon by signing the contract. Find another job before you cross the Rubicon and resign from this one. (unquote)
It reminds me that Julius C., reportedly said, "Alea jacta est" (the die is cast) as he led his army across the river Rubicon. (B.C. 49). And, yes, that is also a synonym of "a point of no return". The expression in Spanish, though, does not have this "transcendent" connotation. It is used more in a jocular manner, when yourself engage on an activity and keep doing it, and doing it... Like if you like, let's say a writer, such as Dan Brown, and you read all his books, one after the other, until you are waiting for the next one to come out... (hasta que no dejas troncón). Or when you are being facetiously critic of someone, who seems a bit obsessed with some activity, like "playing videogames" and/or "surfing the net non-stop"...
(As for "errors", just a couple of points. If you say "me ayuda si corrige mis errores" you are being polite, ie., "me ayuda si USTED corrige mis errores". If you want to be more friendly and colloquial you say "me ayuda si corrigeS mis errores" (the "S" is to indicate "TÚ" i.e., "si tú corriges mis errores". Both "usted" and "tú" are implied in the verb ending, and rarely said or written explicitly, unless you want to re-e-e-eally emphasize it.)
Rubican - correct Rubicón.
Now,there's - Now, there's (space after comma)
es un dicho - Es un dicho (upper case after a period)
(Hey!, you make me work like a proofreader... but I hope it helps!)