View Single Post
Old October 31, 2009, 06:04 AM
Diamond

ROBINDESBOIS is on a distinguished road
I have just downloaded a new version of Audacity, it is great, but it doesn´t record either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomisimo View Post
Being able to record an mp3 file is useful to the language learner. One neat thing you can do here at Tomisimo is upload mp3 files, attach them to posts, and others can listen right from your post. You can do this to illustrate correct pronunciation for others, or you can record yourself speaking your target language and ask others to critique your pronunciation.

How to record an mp3

Note: There are many ways to record audio, this is just one example, and is a Windows-specific example as well.
  1. Download and install Audacity, an open-source (free) audio recorder. http://audacity.sourceforge.net/download/
  2. Download the LAME mp3 encoder (also open-source), and extract the lame_enc.dll file (you can save it anywhere you like.) http://audacity.sourceforge.net/help...&item=lame-mp3
  3. Run Audacity and adjust a couple of settings:
    1. Go to Edit => Preferences
    2. Click on File Formats on the left
    3. Near the bottom where it says "Mp3 Export Setup",
      1. Set the bitrate to 32 (smaller file size, sufficient quality for spoken language)
      2. Click on "Find Library" and browse to the lame_enc.dll file you downloaded.
    4. Click on Audio I/O on the left
      1. Near the top right, select Channels: 1 (mono). (smaller file size, sufficient quality for spoken language)
  4. To record, just press R or hit the record button
  5. To play what you've recorded, just press the spacebar or click the play button
  6. To delete what you've recorded, click the small X in the top left corner of the track you recorded.
  7. To save it as an mp3, go to File => Export as... => Mp3...
Audacity can look pretty intimidating because there are a lot of options, but it's not as bad as it looks.

After you have your mp3 files, just attach them to any post here and other members can listen to them right in the post.
I don´t have the file format option you say

Last edited by AngelicaDeAlquezar; January 06, 2010 at 12:02 PM. Reason: Merged back-to-back posts