View Single Post
Old April 13, 2012, 04:31 PM
Sapphire

Native Language: US English
wrholt is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by rparmst View Post
I thought that following verbs of emotion like sorprender...
Our non-native-speaker judgements of what is and what is not a "verb of emotion" are not always reliable.

I don't have reliable information about "sorprender". I just got through looking through the subjunctive section in a good grammar I have, and I didn't see any comments about "sorprender"; however, there was a comment about "quejarse" = to complain, and a claim that it is usually followed by the indicative and not the subjunctive.

As I'm not aware of any studies into the topic (I have very little formal training in linguistics), all I can do is make a guess, which may well be completely wrong.

When one complains about something, one is asserting the reality of that about which one is complaining. Subjunctive is NOT the mood of asserting the reality of something; rather, it's the mood of ignoring whether something is real or not.

For your Dominican/Puerto Rican friend, the situation with "sorprender" may be similar; I would guess that one is surprised by something that exists or is real, and when one talks about it one asserts the existence or reality of that which one found surprising, and once again subjunctive is NOT the mood of asserting the reality of something.