Thread: English accent
View Single Post
Old January 11, 2009, 07:40 PM
Pearl

Native Language: Irish-Canadian English and Andalusian Spanish.
Planet hopper is on a distinguished road
Right, let's see if I may help:

First thing you hear in an English speaker is that they speak too fast. Meaning Spanish stresses every single syllable, while English strikes stress once-twice in a sentence. Speak carefully, take your time. You won't sound limey.

Vowels are very different, I think they are key. English simplifies vowels in unstressed syllables to the so-called schwa. Never do that in Spanish. Only five vowels, but pronounce them clearly and throughly. No pairs long-short, like sheep/ship.

It is a good comparison for the single vibrant r (verde) to put it next to the American inter-vowel t (water, what a day). I agree with you, Rusty, it's no the same, but it is a good pedagogical start for students willing to practice, as it is the case. Similarities are more than differences, I think. If I'm wrong, well, foot in the mouth.

The multiple vibrant r (rabo) is just a repeated variation, as if you imitate the sound of a motorbike.

Another consonat that variates is the t, which in English is slightly africate, at least in European English, while in Spanish it is purely dental.

Hope this helped,

PH

Last edited by Planet hopper; January 12, 2009 at 12:47 AM.