View Single Post
Old November 28, 2020, 03:11 PM
Obsidiana

Native Language: Mexican Spanish
AngelicaDeAlquezar is on a distinguished road
"Corresponder" implies a relationship of reciprocity. In this context, "corresponder" is something you do to or for someone.
In comparison, "estar a la altura" is to react to the given situation and do it right; you can't be (in this sense") "a la altura" of someone.

If you say "no correspondió a la familia", it would imply the person was not worthy of the family's actions or efforts or even feelings. This person did not repay what the family did for him/her.

- Laura no me corresponde. -> I love Laura, but she doesn't feel the same for me.
- Tantas atenciones que les tenían a los vecinos y nadie les correspondía. -> These people were kind to the neighbors, but none of them had any nice gesture towards them.
- Me fui porque mis amigos nunca correspondieron a mi afecto. -> I left because my friends never reciprocated my affection for them.

Some ways to say people disappointed their family:

- Pedro decepcionó a la familia. -> Pedro disappointed the family.
- Nuestros hijos nos fallaron. -> Our children failed us.
- Diana no cumplió con las expectativas de sus padres. -> Diana did not meet her parents' expectations.
- Esperábamos más de ti. -> We expected more from you.
- Mis padres me defraudaron cuando me echaron de la casa. -> My parents failed me when they threw me out of home.