Thread: Beginner letter
View Single Post
Old April 08, 2012, 09:43 AM
Opal

PeterRed is on a distinguished road
Beginner letter

Hi forum members,

I'm new to this forum and, as a hobby, I have been learning Spanish for a few weeks now. Now I have written a made up letter in which I tell a little bit about myself and mainly the directions to my school. So I hope someone wants to correct my letter.

Here it goes:

"Querido Ricardo,

Soy Peter y tengo 18 años. Soy un estudiante de español. Vivo en Amsterdam, la capital de Holanda. En Amsterdam hay muchas actividades divertidas. Para ir a mi escuela de mi casa tiene que tomar el autobús 231 y bajar en el ayuntamiento. Allí tiene que caminar 200 metros al norte.

Cordiales saludos,

Peter"

It's a bit of a silly letter, describing how to get somewhere from my house. But it's practise and I really like to know if I made any mistakes. Also I have a little question I like to ask as well, in my Spanish study book it is said that to ask directions to someone you can use the phrase: "¿Para ir a ...., por favor?". What does this exactly mean or can't you translate this word by word? Because if I try to do this it makes no sense at all "For going/to go to ...., please?".

Thanks alot for anyone willing to take the time to help me out,

Peter