View Single Post
Old May 02, 2012, 06:15 PM
Opal

Native Language: Portuguese
RuiX-8 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by poli View Post
Bem vindos.
People will be happy to help you here with questions about Spanish or English.

I agree Portuguese sounds very nice. Do you fine Brazilian Portuguese difficult to understand?
Thank you all for the friendly welcome.
Sorry for correcting, somehow it doesn't feel polite, but that's how we help each other, so here it goes.
'Bem-vindos' is plural, i mean for when the welcome is aimed at more than one subject.
'Bem-vindo' is the correct way for this case.
And it's hyphenated. It's 'bem-vindo' and not 'bem vindo'. Portuguese makes frequent use of the hyphen, but a lot less now that it has been revised to make it simpler and to make it more like the brazilian portuguese.
Regarding brazilian portuguese, we understand it perfectly. Many words are different, or used in a different manner, and many expressions of the spoken language are different, but it's 100% understandable, despite the accent being completely different. Because of this difference in accents we understand brazilian portuguese perfectly but they tend to find it dificult to understand us when we speak a bit faster.
This happens because their accent is much more 'open' and ours is much more closed. I don't know how to explain this technically..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don José View Post
Welcome.

By the way, creole from Cabo Verde is the language Cesária Évora used in her songs?
Thanks.
Yes, her songs are in creole from Cabo Verde.
Cheers.

Last edited by AngelicaDeAlquezar; May 02, 2012 at 07:25 PM. Reason: Merged back-to-back posts.