View Single Post
Old April 06, 2010, 06:16 PM
rule 1: gravity

Native Language: English
poli will become famous soon enoughpoli will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Villa View Post
How does your dialect of Spanish compare to Mexican Spanish?
Here in California we have Hispanics from all 21 Spanish speaking countries including some
200,000 Cubans, muchos Salvadoreños, Central Americans in general and many from South
America but most are Mexicans with their brand of Spanish which is the norm. Most of the
people from other Spanish speaking countries here in California learn Mexican Spanish. Many
Latin Americans marry Mexicans or have Mexican members in their family. For example a couple
from Ecuador I know have both of their childrenmarried to Mexicans. The Mexicans also learn
how the other Spanish speakers speak even if they don't use their particular expressions.

The following are an example of Mexican Spanish or Mexican slang. Do you understand them?
How is your dialect of Spanish different?Pardon the language on some of them but it's all for
educations purposes.Not suggesting you use some of the more colorful terms. (Note that any
educated Mexican can speak standard Spanish as well as anybody else in the Hispanic world.)

¡Andale pues! ¡Híjole! ¡Orale! Qué dismadre! ¡Me vale! ¡Un chingo de cosas! ¡Ni modo!
Esta música está muy padre. El chamaco está cortando el zacate. Quita tu pince cara de aquí!
Chinga tu pinche madre! Es una guera muy guapa. Voy a nadar en la alberca ahorita. Necesito
un popote. Ese chango. Orale güey! No le hace. ¡Pinche cabrón! ¡Carajo! El me cae sangrón.
Baboso. El burro hablando de orejas. El me cae gordo. Mamacita, que buena esta usted!
No hay bronca. Tu eres mi cuate. Pendejo. atole, elote, guacamole, mole, pozole, tequila,
milpa, jitomate, aguacate, cacahuate, camote, chile, capulin, mecae, papalote,

Yo como menudo a menudo.

The verb coger in Mexico means to make love or have sex. (f*ck pues) In Cuba coger is simply
the verb for "take" in English. In Mexico they use the verb agarrar for coger. Coger is like "screw"
in English for Mexicans. It can be quite comical when Cubans and Mexicans get together.
Some of those expressions and words are internationally known among
Spanish speakers. Where I am from the predominant Spanish spoken is from the Caribbean. Each island has its individual accent and their own "bad words" which sometimes cause misunderstandings that can be funny but may provoke fights (papaya is tropical fruit in Puerto rico but not in Cuba unless you're being metaphorical. Papo is a respectful term for a mature man in Santo Domingo, but not in Coastal Colombia. In coastal Colombia chicha is a cooling drink, but not in Puerto Rico). THere are hundreds of thousands of Mexicans too--many of whom stick to themselves. It's fun to identify accents.