Thread: Tilde
View Single Post
Old January 02, 2009, 10:17 AM
Rusty's Avatar
Rusty Rusty is offline
Señor Speedy
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: USA
Posts: 10,650
Native Language: American English
Rusty has a spectacular aura aboutRusty has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by María José View Post
So what is the squiggle on top of the eñe called? Never knew it had a name... Does it?
See post #2. I listed both of the Spanish names for it, even though some argue there shouldn't be a name for it because it's a letter en sí.

Tilde is just one of the English words for the squiggley mark. We English speakers must have a name for it because that mark isn't used in English words. As Poli suggested, even though the letters of the alphabet are usually thought of as complete entities, we do have terms to describe the dot over the i, the legs of the k, the cross of the t, etc. Don't Spanish school teachers talk about the virgulilla, or tilde, sobre la ñ?
Reply With Quote