View Single Post
Old February 16, 2012, 09:35 AM
Señor Speedy

Native Language: American English
Rusty has a spectacular aura aboutRusty has a spectacular aura about
In number 1, 'nada' should be 'nadar'.

I agree that there appears to be no difference between the three examples, but your book said that there are "some adjectives" that "don't sound natural with para and an infinitive." That is the key - it doesn't sound natural.

Even though you and I can't see why, a native speaker says that it is a mistake to use the extraño + para + noun/subject pronoun + infinitive construction.
The native speaker, by the way, has confused a subject pronoun with a prepositional pronoun. That's why ti was used instead of in the one example. That's also why would be used in this construction instead of yo.

It doesn't sound natural. (It doesn't sound right.)
We native English speakers refuse to use certain word combinations (collocations). If a non-native speaker uses an odd collocation, we say it doesn't sound right, no matter the fact that the grammar is correct.

All this said, I'm pretty sure native speakers use that construction. So, I conducted a search on the internet and found over 8,500 hits to support my case.
Here are just a few:

Bello dijo que fue bastante extraño para ella hacer una cinta ...

ES ALGO EXTRAÑO PARA ELLA HACER UN NUEVO DISCO COMPLETAMENTE EN ESPAÑOL, PARA ESO ESTÁ TOMANDO CLASES ...

Era algo extraño para ella hacer eso a mano cuando no muy lejos poseía un buen ordenador ...

era completamente extraño para él hacer esa clase de cosas en un lugar ...

¿No crees que es extraño para ti hacer estas cosas?

es extraño para nosotros hacer dos diferentes juegos de la
misma serie ...

No es extraño para nosotros hacer un análisis de lo acontecido ...

Es muy extraño para mí hacer dos goles en otros tantos partidos ...

era extraño para mí hacer cosas como esa ...