View Single Post
Old December 12, 2013, 08:38 PM
SeƱor Speedy

Native Language: American English
Rusty has a spectacular aura aboutRusty has a spectacular aura about
I have never used Spanish in relation with my job or to help me land a job.

Knowing more than one language is certainly a good thing, but I don't think it'll get you a job. Think about all the people you know who speak more than one language. Most are not employed BECAUSE they speak more than one language. Only a few folks use more than one language as a requirement of their job.

If you want to learn Spanish in order to be an interpreter or translator, you'll need many years of schooling. Translators need to learn writing skills, unless their translations are proofed by someone else who specializes in editing. Interpreters must keep abreast of all current events and must be intimately familiar with two or more languages in addition to their mother tongue, and all associated cultures, in order to be successful. I believe translators and interpreters have thankless jobs.
Most people who have English as their mother tongue do NOT translate things into Spanish. They translate from Spanish into English.

Bottom line, knowing Spanish will not get you a job, unless the job requires Spanish.

Mostly, you'll just enjoy knowing more than one language.
You should also remember that you will forget what you don't use. So, if you take the time to learn to speak Spanish, take the time to ensure you will use it everyday.