View Single Post
Old January 19, 2011, 08:55 PM
Diamond

Native Language: Spanish (Castilian, peninsular)
JPablo is on a distinguished road
Question To live in the sun

Apparently, in my context, "to live in the sun" means,
1 : without worry or care *loves to live in the sun— Shakespeare* Merriam-Webster Unabridged.

Context:
Take something that could make Man well and happy and live in the sun, you see, and turn it around backwards to make him live in a dark coal hole.

Translated as,
Coger/Tomar algo que podría hacer que el Hombre se pusiera bien, fuera feliz y viviera sin preocupaciones, ¿veis?, y darle la vuelta para hacerle vivir en la lobreguez del más oscuro desasosiego.

Do you think that in this context I could use the same "metaphor" in Spanish and get away with it?

I.e., if I said, "
y viviera sin preocupaciones a la luz del Sol, ¿veis?,"...

Anyone can think of a better Spanish expression (using the Sun, the sunlight or something of the sort, that would balance correctly with the part of "living in a dark coal hole"?)

Any ideas are welcome. (Right now I am inclined to use "la luz del Sol" and get some tan... even if we are in January...)

(Also, the part of "la lobreguez del más oscuro desasosiego." sounds a bit pedantic to me... how about "vivir en la profunda oscuridad de una mina de carbón" or something shorter?