View Single Post
Old August 25, 2012, 10:30 AM
Ruby

Native Language: Filipino
Coffee Kitten is on a distinguished road
Filipino and Spanish

I just wish to share a few thoughts on my experience as a Filipino learning the Spanish language.

First, the perks: Since many Filipino words were derived from Spanish (owing to our country's colonial history), Filipino speakers already have a head start when it comes to vocabulary. Here are a few Filipino words that mean the same as their similarly-sounding Spanish counterparts: nobyo, mundo, tinidor, kabayo (caballo), banyo, relo, sobre, takilya, huwes (juez), berde. Filipino speakers typically know English, too, so that contributes further to one's starting vocabulary in Spanish.

Furthermore, grammar rules that may be uncommon in English, such as the noun-adjective order and the verb-subject order in passive voice, are normal in the Filipino language. For me, this helped me "accept" these grammar rules rules quite quickly.

Of course, it does have its share of inconveniences. We deal with false cognates that others may not have to encounter. Most confusing are Sp. siempre (always) and Fil. siyempre (of course), Sp. seguro (sure) and Fil. siguro (maybe), and Sp. demasiado (too much) and Fil. 'di masyado (not too much).

And some words that are otherwise unremarkable in the Spanish language are used as offensive words in Filipino. For example, the Spanish-derived salbahe and mutsatsa (muchacha) are almost exclusively used for offensive purposes in the Filipino context.

For those whose native languages are other than English and Spanish, what were your language-learning experiences coming from your native language?