Thread: [French] Studying French
View Single Post
Old May 04, 2016, 05:29 PM
Diamond

Native Language: Castellano
aleCcowaN is on a distinguished road
Aprendo, I think you have followed many Spanish courses in different moments of your life, so its learning has been like painting with many thin and slightly different coats, so to speak, then it looks strong, even and deep. Your French course seems to be a thick one coat that looks a little coarse, but that's not a defect of the course but of the only-one-course, no matter how good it is -I don't doubt it's really good-. We have a saying "cada maestrito con su librito", meaning every teacher considers a different thing to be the important one and highlights different elements of the course.

I agree French is difficult to pronounce. It's like English, but different, so you can imagine now what we suffer, specially those of us not ear-gifted when we have to learn any of them. And the spelling of both is a nightmare, a common defect originated by using the wrong alphabet and not having each one an adapted alphabet of its own -like the Cyrillic in Russian- which in time would have standardized spelling and pronunciation, like it happened with Spanish and vero italiano.

As a side note, I studied French following the course French in Action, by the late Pierre Capretz, a genius in language pedagogy. Maybe you would be able to get just the tapes of it and follow it -there are 52 lessons-. I can assure you it complements any formal course and it'd make you hate those courses, though they are quite fine and it would be like hating the meat because you like the dessert, both needed for both a nutritive and satisfying diet.