View Single Post
Old June 04, 2020, 11:04 PM
Pearl

Native Language: American English
Bobbert is on a distinguished road
Thank you, Rusty and Tomisimo, for the concise rule. That’s great to have.

Rusty wrote:
In each sentence you wrote, more information is needed if you choose 'a que', declaring what action you'll take when the thing you're waiting on occurs.

I’m a little unclear on this. In using “a que,” are you saying the further action MUST be spelled out or can it also just be understood that further action will be taken, but I’m just not spelling out what that action will be? The example you both addressed focused on waiting for a person. If I don’t intend to tell you what we’ll do after he/she arrives, should I use “que” and not use “a que”?

Also, if I use “a que” when referring to waiting on a bus, do I still need to declare what action I’ll take when the bus comes? Can it just be inferred that when the bus comes, I plan on taking the normal action of getting aboard and riding the bus and/or opting not to give any more information about what I’ll do when the bus comes?

I have had this "esperar que" and "esperar a que" question in mind for a while, so any further clarification is appreciated.