View Single Post
Old November 12, 2013, 09:39 AM
Pearl

Native Language: Castillan spanish
explorator is on a distinguished road
I didn't know anything about the francoist regime's influence in the Spain's Spanish dubbing! Nevertheless it seems plausible. Anyway the fact is that nowadays almost 40 years after the dictator's death, every attempt of promoting films in original version in Spain, has been a commercial fiasco. So the cinema producers and distributors keep the dubbing industry alive just because it is profitable.
On the other hand, it is not the first time that I write here that dubbing actors in Spain have a much better pronunciation than the "common" ones ( It is just my opinion but I think that they are generally selected because of their physical attractiveness rather than because of their interpretative skills). This year Juan Luis Galiardo, Pepe Sancho and Constantino Romero, three of the very best dubbing actors in my country have passed away. All three of them, but specially the two first ones were also excellent cinema and theatre professionals. Their talent as dubbing actors, as well as that of many other less known professionals, has made some very bad films become into a reasonably passable ones once dubbed.
Finally, we must admit that a very large number of American Spanish speakers dislike the sound of the European Spanish (just see the comments to the movie trailers in Castilian Spanish at Yutube). This fact has also replication about the sound of the American Spanish among a good number of Spain's Spanish speakers.
In spite of the existence of at least five main Spanish dialects in America, the so called "Neutral Spanish" seems to be well accepted by the most part of the American Spanish speakers, while the differences in phonetics, intonation, grammatical structure (the reproduction of English American grammatical structures are much more frequent at the American Spanish than in the European one), and even in meaning, prevent us to share the same dubbing at both sides of the Atlantic Ocean.