View Single Post
Old August 25, 2009, 05:17 AM
Diamond

Native Language: Inglés (en-gb)
pjt33 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomisimo View Post
Option three: Install a Spanish Keyboard on your computer
This is by far the best option and the one I use, and it's not hard to do. This allows you to easily type all the special characters in any program.

Basically just go to Start => Settings => Control Panel => Keyboard and double-click on Keyboard. This will open up the Keyboard properties dialog box where you can add an "input locale", choose ES Spanish International
Now you will be able to type the chars by simple pressing the single apostrophe key once (nothing will happen/appear), and then press the vowel you want an accent mark over. the ñ is produced with the semi-colon key, and to produce the umlauted u (ü), hold down shift while pressing the apostrophe key and then press the u.
Note that if you have multiple keyboards installed (e.g. English and Spanish) you can switch between them with (IIRC) left-Alt left-Shift. I'm sure that key combination can be configured too, but since I don't have Windows I can't test it.

Tomísimo, I don't know how you configure the keyboard in Gnome but if you use KDE instead (Kubuntu) it's pretty easy. There is a general alternative, if you're confident, which is to change the default X keyboard. I think that should be
Code:
sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg
Then tell it not to auto-detect keyboard and force it to es.