View Single Post
Old July 19, 2016, 04:02 AM
Pearl

Native Language: English
Aprendo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrholt View Post
This phenomenon is characteristic of the voiced stop consonants /b/, /d/, and /g/ in most varieties of Spanish.

Between vowels all of these consonants normally are pronounced as fricatives, while after a pause or following a nasal consonant they normally are pronounced as stops.

The more casual the context, the more likely that these consonants will seem to disappear, regardless of which regional variety is used.

It's true that there may be some regional variation in how relaxed these consonants are pronounced at similar levels of casualness. However, when you compare the differences between regional varieties to the range of variation within individual varieties, the differences are not distinctive enough to be very useful for distinguishing regional accents compared to the variations in pronouncing several other consonants.

The consonants whose pronunciation varies most widely between regional varieties and which are most useful for distinguishing regional accents include:

- "s"
- "c" (before "e" and "i") and "z"
- "y" (or "hi") before another vowel
- "ll"
- "r" (especially at the end of a syllable)
- "rr"
- "g" (before "e" and "i") and "j"

You've already received some replies about some of these. Variations in intonation, rhythm, speed and word choice can also be helpful when trying to identify a particular regional variety.
Thank you for this helpful and informative information, wrholt.

An additional quick question on the pronunciation of "z."

I know the common pronunciation is [s] but are there any instances of the "z" being pronounced as a "z" or in between an "s" and a "z?"