Old February 29, 2012, 08:36 PM
Señor Speedy

Native Language: American English
Rusty has a spectacular aura aboutRusty has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by caliber1 View Post
I apologize in adnvance.
... Espero que me puedan ayudar.

So, what am I missing? Is there a difference? Could someone give me a know-how on when to use and when not to use one or the other? I would be forever grateful.
You may want to use colocar as an alternative to poner, but poner certainly works. Meter would be used if the item fits inside something else.
Echar, on the other hand, has different meanings, and wouldn't work in either case you mentioned. Its primary meanings are 'throw', 'throw out' and 'add'. Adding, or throwing on, the canopy is a better translation for 'echar la cubierta'.

By the way, when you ask a question with 'can you' in English, what you really mean is 'would you', not 'are you able'. So, it would be more polite to ask, "Me podrías poner/colocar ...?"

Do you know the word for 'moulding'? If so, you should use the gender-appropriate demonstrative pronoun - ese/este (masculine) or esa/esta (feminine). Eso and esto are used if you don't know what something is, or if it's an idea, situation or concept. If it isn't one of those, it has a gender. So, once you know what something is, always match gender.