View Single Post
Old September 03, 2011, 10:35 AM
Pearl

Native Language: Español
Don José is on a distinguished road
i wonder if we can just talk about two kinds of Spanish, as the title of the thread suggests. I see great differences in the Spanish spoken in Cuba, Mexico and Argentina, just to give some examples.

I found this idea of 'áreas lingüísticas':

Para reforzar el carácter panhispánico de la obra, los borradores fueron debatidos y revisados por una comisión interacadémica formada por el antiguo director de la RAE, Víctor García de la Concha, el secretario de la Asociación de Academias de la Lengua Española (Asale) y un académico representante de cada una de las nueve áreas lingüísticas de la lengua española: México; Chile; Centroamérica; Río de la Plata; área andina; Caribe continental; Antillas; Estados Unidos y Filipinas, y España.

http://www.edu.xunta.es/centros/iespedrasrubias/?q=node/56

So nine kinds of Spanish?

I wonder if someone from the States who learn Mexico Spanish will find the same amount of difficulties in Argentine and in Spain.

I know the 'seseo' is used in the Spanish spoken in America but not by most of the Spanish (I met an English guy who learned Spanish in El Salvador and found difficulty in understanding Spanish in Madrid because of all the 'c' and 'z').
But apart from the 'c' and 'z' pronunciation, I'm ignorant about other characteristics that could identify the Spanish spoken in America as different from the one spoken in Spain. Are there any, many?