Thread: Portuguese
View Single Post
Old September 04, 2013, 11:43 AM
rule 1: gravity

Native Language: English
poli will become famous soon enoughpoli will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by tetsuo View Post
They are very similar. A big part of Belgium (the one close the Dutch border) speaks Dutch as well and mostly. Flemish is available throughout the country. The Belgian part close to the French border speaks French (instead of Dutch). ut I guess some people speak Dutch there, too, and also people will speak French in the "Dutch"-part of Belgium. If you speak the German dialect Friesisch you already have mastered a big part of Dutch. In the northern part of Dutch (the part close to the German border, not the one with Amsterdam / Zandvoort etc.) speaks a Dutch dialect also called Friesisch. No suprise this part is called Friesland, too. A German part (northern islands) are called Ostfriesland. As for Afrikaans I'd guess it's the same as like Spanish to Portuguese. Some different words for the same meaning (Afrikaans: kombuis; Dutch: keuken - meaning cocina / kitchen) (Anecdote for the German learners: kitchen in German is a synonym for prison).

You wouldn't do that but I like to mention it, just in case: Don't do jokes about how fast Germany conquered the Netherlands in WW2. They will be mad forever. That's a standard info efore you travel to the Netherlands. At least it was for me and many others. Just as if we would say something like this.
Any jovial comments about Nazi victories coming from Germans almost anywhere in the world would probably be coldly received unless you are addressing skin heads. This is not just something you would come across in Holland.

Last edited by poli; September 04, 2013 at 11:45 AM.