View Single Post
Old August 29, 2011, 08:59 AM
Sapphire

Native Language: US English
wrholt is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don José View Post
I was expecting comments on the writing rather than on the contents, but anyway it's interesting what you said. I've got some questions:
Sorry about that: it's a hazard of being a partisan of a musical tradition that some people view as having lost the culture wars around musical education in America.

Quote:
- When you said that 'ut' was G in the very begining, do you mean that the scores as this one has been transported transposed?
Perhaps. Because with the overlapping system for naming notes, the first overlapping hexachord above the lowest one starts with 'ut' on the 'fa' of the lowest hexachord, so that the first C can be identified as "fa-ut". Also it has been quite common to notate vocal music in a convenient key for the notation system and to pitch it for singing in a convenient key for the voices available, rather than assuming that the notated key is supposed to be the absolute pitch at which the music must be sung.

Quote:
(I know wikipedia is not a reliable source of information, but this score can be found in many books on History of Music.)

I think I'm remembering one of the teachers at the Conservatory talking about what you said, but as I get older, I'm getting more absent-minded. I'm curently teaching music at a secondary school, and always keen on learning new things, so thanks for your information.

I was going to ask you what 'shape-note singing' was, but I just have a 'Google look' and found this website:

http://fasola.org/
Yes, my people. That's one of the 3 best resources of on-line information about shaped-note music in general and about Sacred Harp singing in particular.

The other two are: (1) the web site of Dr. Warren Steel at University of Mississippi (Oxford), and (2) the English wikipedia articles on Sacred Harp and on shape notes.

The Sacred-Harp resources listings attached to fasola.org and to Dr. Steel's page list most of the non-electronic sources of information.

Quote:

Just from reading the first page, it sounds interesting. I'll be back to it.
Cool! You can find videos of traditional and less-traditional renditions of the music on youtube, and fasola.org has links to most local and regional singing communities in the world.

Edit:
Sometimes "disclaimer" refers to an acknowledgement of the existence a relationship that some people may consider to be a conflict of interest or a possible source of bias.

Last edited by wrholt; August 29, 2011 at 10:40 AM. Reason: Added about "disclaimer"