View Single Post
Old February 25, 2012, 08:52 PM
Obsidiana

Native Language: Mexican Spanish
AngelicaDeAlquezar is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by laepelba View Post
- Cuanto más rico eres, más amigos tienes. (The richer you are, the more friends you have.) (NOTE: Malila, my tutor has also given me a different construction of this using the word "entre". Here I want to stick with what the chapter in the text is getting at.)
The construction "cuanto más..., (tanto) más" is a bit archaic in Mexico, so the usual structure for us is "entre más..., más".

Quote:
1. Cuanto más alto te hagas, mejor jugarás al baloncesto. (My question: the example in the text uses the indicative in the first part of the sentence. The answer to this exercise, though, uses the subjunctive only in this sentence. The rest use the indicative. What is the difference?)
"Cuanto/entre más alto te haces" is some sort of universal statement. The general case of what always happens.
"Cuanto/entre más alto te hagas" is applied to a specific case, like when you talk to a child who will eventually be tall enough for playing better.

Quote:
My question: would it be correct to write "cada año hay menos casas baratas en esta zona"?
I see you weren't sticking here to the book's proposed structure, but yes, it would be alright. However, your sentence would introduce a much less general idea than "cada vez", which could express many other reasons why I notice the prices rising, like "every time I check the prices", or "every few months", "every time I see someone moving here", "every time I pass by"...

Your answer in #4 is fine.