View Single Post
Old August 15, 2016, 10:56 AM
Opal

el elyon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by aleCcowaN View Post
Provided evolution isn't "either you adapt or you'll die" at all (in fact it doesn't relate with adaptation but with random changes and death preferentially preying on the unfitted resulted of those random changes -or lack thereof-), I would say "adáptate o revienta", closer in meaning to "adapt or perish" and "shape up or ship out".

But for a extremely literal translation "adaptarse o perecer" is OK, if you understand that's a completely impersonal phrase which is not suggesting others to do that nor indicating you do it.
Firstly, thank you for your input.

I understand where you're coming from in that the adaptation isn't a choice. However, the saying 'Adapt or Perish' means, to me personally, find a way to deal or keep up with the situation or scenario you have in front of you or do nothing and let it keep you down (and out).

From my understand, evolution is a result of speies adapting to the changing environment - naturally and unconsciously of course. For instance, Darwin’s original observations of adaptation amongst the finches of the Galapagos.

"The medium ground finch was well established on the isle of Daphne, and had been studied in depth. Its beak was suited perfectly for cracking large nuts. In 1982, the large ground finch from a neighbouring island arrived. These larger finches could drive away the native medium ground finches and would eat all the large nuts. Over the period of study, the medium ground finches of Daphne island were found to have developed smaller beaks more suited to the smaller nuts, ignored by the invading larger finches. This is a classic study in evolutionary biology."

In a nutshell, the medium finch that was born with a smaller beak (through natural mutation) outlived the medium finches with larger beaks due to their limited food sources. The finches with the smaller beaks didn't choose to have smaller beaks, it was simply the smaller ones outlived due to the advantage of smaller beaks and therefor procreated more and thus most have smaller beaks now.

Anyways... lol.

I like the saying "shape up or ship out" and i guess that maybe be a better way of saying what i'm intending to mean. So in this case "adáptate o revienta" would mean that?

Lee.