View Single Post
Old January 30, 2009, 05:01 PM
Diamond

Native Language: American English (Northeastern US)
laepelba is on a distinguished road
Verbs like "lavar", "cepillar", y "despertar"

I am currently learning about verbs that I think are called reflexive verbs. (Is that correct?) I have recently been introduced to the words "lavar", "cepillar" and "despertar". I am looking for a wide variety of examples of how each could be used.

Specifically:

1) LAVAR - If I understand this correctly, if someone is washing something, I just use "lavar". For example, "Él lava la camisa." But if someone is washing a part of oneself, you use the reflexive pronoun. For example, "Él se lava el pelo."

Are these examples correct? Is my thinking correct? Can you please give me more examples (a wide variety of ways of using "lavar")? Thank you!!

2) CEPILLAR - The only examples I've seen of "cepillar" are for brushing one's own teeth or hair. So, for example, "Él se cepilla el pelo." Or, "Él se cepilla los dientes."

But, if I wanted to say that someone is brushing someone else's hair, do I say "La mujer se cepilla el pelo de niña."?? Is there a case where you use "cepillar" without the reflexive pronoun? May I also have some varied examples of the use of "cepillar"? (Again, thank you!!)

3) DESPERTAR - I get the basic examples of the use of "despertar". I understand "El hombre despierta a su esposa." And I understand why you use the word "se" in the following sentence: "El hombre se despierta."

But would I also say "Me despierto" for "I wake up"? Would I say "Te despiertas" for "you wake up"? What about "Te despierto" for "I wake you up". Does that work? Or would it be "Despierto a ti."?? May I also have some varied examples of the use of "despertar"? (THANK YOU THANK YOU!!)

One final request: Can you also give me some examples of other verbs that behave like these? AND, is there an article (or another forum post) here on Tomísimo that would also answer my questions here?

AGAIN, thank you so much!! ¡Muchas gracias OTRA VEZ!