View Single Post
Old November 05, 2009, 05:47 PM
Diamond

Native Language: American English (Northeastern US)
laepelba is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica View Post
That's awesome! Your Spanish is better than mine
You know, Jessica - I was thinking about that earlier today. Not that my Spanish is better than yours, because it's NOT! You're learning Spanish in a VERY systematic and VERY educationally sound way. I am not. I'm just practicing reading, writing, listening and speaking whenever I can. That's great for conversations like the one I had with that parent today or the one I had with some students yesterday. But it doesn't really fill in the gaps. I need to truly STUDY Spanish to do that. I've got the old textbook from my college texts and am going to start working through them. You'd be surprised at the stuff from chapter 1 of the beginning Spanish book that I didn't already know!! What I was thinking earlier today is that students of Spanish in a high school or college get MUCH less practice with the actual USE of the language than I'm getting with my students, their families, this website, watching spanish TV, listening to Spanish radio, reading Spanish books, writing to/from latino friends on Facebook in Spanish, sending e-mails to latino friends in Spanish ... and so on.