View Single Post
Old April 10, 2011, 08:06 PM
Opal

Native Language: English
JimOfMex is on a distinguished road
Hi, I am finally making significant progress on using Spanish. I've studied it all of my life, but I made little progress until I moved to Costa Rica. I lived in Mexico in the Chapala area outside of Guadalajara for 3 years. I love Mexico, but I learned little Spanish. Too many people speak English there. In Costa Rica, I have had the opportunity to really learn. I hope to improve my Spanish greatly. I love it hear in Costa Rica. I have no plans to ever leave.

I look forward to opportunities to communicate in Spanish with other members, if possible.

Best,
Jim

This is an old thread, yet here I am replying. I speak with people here in Spanish daily. My experience is somewhat different from the others in this thread. I find vos to be used constantly by everyone. I also find the 2nd person singular is never used. It is always 2nd person plural ... and not as in Spain. 2nd person plural is used as if singular. I also find that formal and informal forms are often intermixed in the same sentence.

My friend Leonardo from Cartago told me that they make allowances for Spanish speakers from other countries, but to Ticos (Costa Ricans), the use of 2nd person singular indicates a lack of education. No one ever says <<¿Quieres tú algo?>>. It is always <<¿Quereís vos algo?>>.

However, it is correct to say <<¿Me gusta tu camisa?>>

My two cents.

Last edited by Rusty; April 11, 2011 at 03:30 PM. Reason: merged back-to-back posts