View Single Post
Old March 29, 2010, 11:43 AM
Obsidiana

Native Language: Mexican Spanish
AngelicaDeAlquezar is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by laepelba View Post
[...]Never drive if you're tired.
Would this be more exact? "Never drive tired" (kind of like "never drive drunk").
If that construction is correct in English, then yes. I wasn't sure, so I just wrote the idea of the sentence.

Quote:
No me gustan los mariscos, pero tampoco la carne.
I don't like sea-food, but neither do I like meat.

Ni te imaginas lo bien que nos fue.
You can't even imagine how well we did.
Thanks for the corrections. I found "we did good" in a word website and just parroted it.

Quote:
Another question regarding word order when using nunca/jamás. I wrote some sentences in a workbook, and the answer key had the words in a different order. Is my order okay, or does it have to be the way the answer key has it?

My sentence: Los periodistas no redactan nunca optimistas. (My thinking was that they "never print", with "never" modifying the action?)
Answer key: Los periodistas no redactan optimistas nunca.

My sentence: Los marineros no tienen nunca miedo al mar. (Again, my thinking that "never" modifies "have"?)
Answer key: Los marineros no tienen miedo al mar nunca.
Your thinking is right in both sentences.
The place of "nunca" and other adverbs (I'd say) is mostly a matter of style, but sometimes it can change the meaning.

"Los periodistas no redactan nunca optimistas" can be understood, but "optimistas" feels like a substantive, so it's not the best choice for word order.

Your sentence with "miedo al mar" is alright, and I'd say it's even better than the answer key.

Personally, I wouldn't have chosen any of the book answers:

- Los periodistas nunca redactan optimistamente. / Los periodistas nunca redactan noticias optimistas. / Los periodistas no redactan nunca noticias optimistas. ("nunca" could be placed at the end as well in this sentence.)
"Optimistas" use doesn't feel appropriate here for me. There is need for a noun (e.g. "noticias") or to change the adjective for an adverb on how they print.

And

- Los marineros nunca tienen miedo al mar.
Only for style... sometimes I prefer to avoid double negative.