View Single Post
Old March 16, 2017, 04:02 PM
Sapphire

Native Language: US English
wrholt is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjt33 View Post
I've been learning Spanish now for over 20 years and I've spent almost 10 years in total in Spanish-speaking countries, but I still regularly look a fool. You just have to learn to live with it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelicaDeAlquezar View Post
Amen to that. I have been learning English for 30 years, I listen to English spoken every day and I still feel like a fool quite often.
Yep. A little 40 years ago, just after I completed the third year of my high school's 3-year course in Spanish and earning the highest grade among the students in that class, I spent several weeks in Central America as an exchange student living with a host brother my age and his family. One fine day when I was at home the 5-year-old son of one of the servants was also present, and he asked me a rather long question that I failed to understand. I asked him to repeat the question a couple of times before my host mother took pity on me and told me in English what his question was: "How come you're like the old grandfather in the field who doesn't understand when people talk to him?".