Thread: Ahuevar
View Single Post
Old February 04, 2017, 09:59 AM
SeƱor Speedy

Native Language: American English
Rusty has a spectacular aura aboutRusty has a spectacular aura about
ahuevar algo = shape something like an egg, add egg whites to wine (to clarify)
ahuevar a alguien = scare/frighten someone (in some Latin American countries)
ahuevarse = chicken out

red-light district = barrio chino (Spain), zona roja, barrio rojo

Not wanting to offend, racism (and all political correctness) is, in my opinion, over-emphasized in the USA. Many words in many languages have roots that can be traced to characterizations and perceptions, most of them pejorative. Almost all the colors I can think of, in English and in Spanish, have been used in disparaging ways (blue movie, green with envy, white trash, etc.). In English it's considered rude to say someone is fat or skinny. In Spanish, it's normal to be called gordito o flaquito. You'd also be extremely happy being called negrito o moreno in Spanish.

I personally don't see a problem with calling someone deaf. That is a terrific word. I refuse to say that someone is 'hearing impaired'. The deaf call themselves deaf, so why are we being told that that term is offensive? The deaf are offended when we call them 'hearing impaired'.
The blacks call themselves black. They even use the 'n' word entre si. Why can't crackers (their word for white people) use the same terms the blacks do? Give me a break!
The Spanish use sordo to designate the deaf, calvo to designate the bald, and manco to describe someone who has lost a hand or an arm. Why are we Americans asked to use 'challenged' or 'impaired'? I'd rather say someone doesn't know how get from point A to point B without a map or a GPS than call them geographically-challenged. What does a bald person call themselves? They call themselves bald, not follicly-challenged or an egghead. Let's get real!
I'll get off my soapbox now.

Last edited by Rusty; February 04, 2017 at 10:02 AM.