View Single Post
Old September 05, 2008, 09:33 AM
Señor Speedy

Native Language: American English
Rusty has a spectacular aura aboutRusty has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by supa-coopa View Post
If the infinitive form "hacer" means "to make" then why must we add "a"? Can you explain this to give me a better understanding? Thanks!

Also, what is the difference in alguno and cualquier?
The 'a' before an infinitive is a preposition. It can be interpreted as meaning 'to'. It serves as an introduction to the infinitive, but isn't required in every case. It looks blantantly redundant to us anglohablantes (English speakers) because we've been taught that an infinitive always starts with 'to' and we read this construction as 'to to make', but hispanoparlantes don't think that way. The infinitive in the instance you cited needs an introductory preposition. It cannot stand alone. Que, para and por are other introductory prepositions you'll find before infinitives. Sometimes there is no need for a preposition. For example:
Tenemos muchas cosas que hacer mañana. (We have a lot of things to do tomorrow.)
Esto sirve para enseñarles a los niños a leer más rápido. (This is used to teach the children to read more quickly.)
No lo dejes por hacer otra cosa. (Don't put it aside to do another thing.)

You originally chose alguna verbo. Adjectives must agree in gender with the noun, so alguna is incorrect. Alguno matches the gender, but when it precedes a noun the 'o' is dropped. The accented syllable remains, however, so it is written algún.
Alguno means some. When it appears in an interrogative, algún verbo can be translated as any verbs or any verb. Look at this example:
¿Tocas algún instrumento? Usually translated as, "Do you play any instruments?" this question is really asking "Do you play some kind of instrument?"

Cualquier means any. This is the form the adjective takes when it precedes a noun of either gender. I chose to use cualquier verbo because that is the meaning I believe you intended.

Last edited by Rusty; September 05, 2008 at 11:27 AM.