View Single Post
Old April 19, 2011, 05:59 AM
Opal

Native Language: english
vallero is on a distinguished road
Hola aleCcowanN

Thank you very much for your summary of the subjunctive. I found it to be very interesting reading because for me it introduced a different approach to learning Spanish. Your more philosophical analysis of the subjunctive is very different than the methods presented in Spanish learning texts for English speakers. I think because the Spanish grammar structure, verb conjugations etc. are such new concepts for English speakers the authors tend to take a more analytical route to teach the language. They take the intimate knowledge of Spanish, like as person such as yourself has, and breaks it into rules and flow sheets. I suppose that explains my current obsession with the rigid rules for the subjunctive that I have been adhering to, for example the subjunctive noun formula S1V1 + QUE + S2V2 with ‘weirdo’ verbs.

At my present proficiency level I don’t think that I can use any method other than the rules and guide-lines presented in my text books to improve my skills. With experience comes success, so eventually I may aquire a more intuitive understanding of Spanish, but that is many hours of homework in the future. However your suggestions and information has been inspiring for me and sets new goals for my studies.

One last thing. In your post #4 I have two questions.

1) In my example of adverbial subjunctives I think that I realize my mistake. “Cuando vaya a la Argentina estoy feliz” implies a habitual action because of my inclusion of ‘estoy feliz’. I thought that simply using an adverbial conjunction of time (cuando) I was implying an anticipated action. If my example had of been for instance: Cuando vayas a la Argentina me compras un regalo, that would be the correct application of the subjunctive because it this case the sentences expresses only a future anticipated event. Am I correct?

2) One of your counter-parts I find confusing. “Busco un coche que tiene un motor grande” I would have thought because you are looking for an unspecified vehicle, which may or may not exist, then the subjunctive should be used. Busco el coche que tiene un motor grande would use the indicative because “el” indicates that the car exists, so is a part of the speakers perceived reality. Where am I going wrong with this example?

Once again aleCcowanN thank you very much for your help over the past few days, you have been very helpful.

I have only been a member for few days but already I know that this forum is awesome.