View Single Post
Old December 21, 2011, 09:00 AM
Diamond

Native Language: Castellano
chileno is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by aleCcowaN View Post
Assuming those Americans are from the United States and not from Peru, Brazil or Canada, what do they have in mind when they speak of a Mexican race? A Mayan? Miguel Ángel Osorio Chong and his slant eyes? A lady from Durango that resembles Frida Kahlo? Carlos Slim Helú -the richest man in the world- and his kin? Louis CK? Or a generic, multi-purpose, all-terrain dude or dudette having 75% American Mongoloid genes and 25% Caucasian genes? (If so, what is exactly the racial difference with a Guatemalan? -A quote from Crash comes to mind: Ria: "You want a lesson? I'll give you a lesson. How 'bout a geography lesson? My father's from Puerto Rico. My mother's from El Salvador. Neither one of those is Mexico." | Graham: "Ah. Well then I guess the big mystery is, who gathered all those remarkably different cultures together and taught them all how to park their cars on their lawns?")

It amazes me the effort they put to sort out bloods and still appear as politically correct, for instance in Scotty McCreery's biography and his (not-truly-american?) granny.

The term "American" depends of the context in which it is used.

If a person says "I am an American" and the person was born in the United States of America, he is just stating he is a natural of this country.

If you or I say we are Americans, we are stating we belong to the continent América.

That's all.

It is the same problem I am alluding when I said that americans (naturals of this (USA) country) confuse race with nationality.

In your case, you confuse a country with a continent.