View Single Post
Old August 07, 2008, 06:04 PM
Emerald

Native Language: English
Jane will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramses View Post
Yeah, but I strongly believe that there's a general path someone can (or should) walk in order to become fluent. When you speak English, do you think about grammar all the time? Maybe once in a while, with complex sentences, but not in general. Learning a language is all about growing an intuition. People who say they *need* to understand *each and every* piece of grammar before they can be fluent are talking BS. You can't be fluent when you think about stuff like grammar all the time. Natives just rule regarding their native tongue because they don't think about the correctness of their language.

They grammar-loving people you've come across: are they near-native fluent? I guess not, because that impossible. Sure, you can be a grammar lover, but please only be one when you're already fluent at the language in question (concentrate on the hows first, the whys will come later).
Note that I said;
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane
Over the years, I´ve learnt that in language learning, what works for one person doesn´t neccesarily work for another, so, I always say that every individual should identify how best he or she learns and work with it. Of course, there is always room for discovering better methods and improvement
Everyone must not learn the way you do..., at least from my experiences as a language teacher.
And, to answer your question,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramses
They grammar-loving people you've come across: are they near-native fluent? I guess not, because that impossible
Yes, some of them are quite good, infact, very good! Nothing is impossible.