View Single Post
Old October 12, 2017, 05:30 PM
Obsidiana

Native Language: Mexican Spanish
AngelicaDeAlquezar is on a distinguished road
Since Spanish doesn't use passive voice as often as English does, we don't express these ideas the same way. One alternative is to use the active voice with an impersonal "they":

- Me van a hacer (la) limpieza de los dientes el martes.
(I'm not using "me van a limpiar los dientes", because, for me, this doesn't convey the idea of having a professional to do this.)
- Me lavaron el coche ayer.

"I'm going to have him defrost the freezer" is different, because here there is a specific person who will do this job:
- (Él) me va a deshielar el congelador.

All of these sentences say that someone will do something for me;
Notice that we don't say "se me". "Se", when used as an impersonal, is always conjugated with third person singular, but here we have a "they", which is a plural.
Using an impersonal sentence with "se", one could say something like "se me va a lavar el coche", but although this is grammatically correct, the meaning is unclear, because there is some ambiguity with the statement that "the car is going to wash itself". Odd. Anyway, nobody talks like that.

However, as Poli rightly said, there are other active voice alternatives. Keep in mind that thinking in a foreign language is thinking about another culture, so a translation sometimes is rather an adaptation to how the other speaks:

- El martes voy al dentista a que me haga (la) limpieza.
- Llevé ayer el coche a lavar.
- Mañana va a venir el jardinero a cortar el pasto.
- Voy a llevar este traje a planchar. = Voy a llevar este traje a que lo planchen.

@Poli: Your restored Rembrandt example may be better expressed with "hacer" + infinitive: "el conservador del museo hizo restaurar el Rembrandt por expertos italianos". Or "el conservador del museo mandó restaurar el Rembrandt con expertos italianos".
In both cases, there is someone who orders a job to be done.