View Single Post
Old August 04, 2008, 06:17 PM
rule 1: gravity

Native Language: English
poli will become famous soon enoughpoli will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amanpour View Post
Italy is a great place, cities like Venice, Rome, Florence and one of my personal favourite, Sassi di Matera are a must see, of course there are so many other beautiful cities with their rich romantic setting. The interesting thing is that with a relative knowledge of Spanish, you wouldn´t feel completely lost in Italy.
I´ll be going to live in Spain for a while myself, so any additional information will be welcome.
Of course Italy is well known for its culture and classic beauty. It lives up to its reputation there, but politically Italy is in horrible shape (they are finger -printing all gypsies even children, and the police are focusing on attacking the immigrant populaton.) and I would hesitate before going there so as not to encourage the of the powers that be by patronizing them. Spain is truly historic and cultural and kind of fun, and very different from Italy. Spanish cities have a lot to offer, and not just Madrid and Barcelona.The countryside, however drab and desert -like unless you go northwest. Summer is a bad time to go unless you like relentless heat and crowded beaches. US, Caribbean and Mexican beaches are better. I think Spain is best for its cultural cities. Andalucia in southern Spain is beautiful in late spring and early fall when it is still quite warm. Its cities have much of the feel and look of its Moorish past which make it seem exotic.