View Single Post
Old June 10, 2014, 11:13 AM
Pearl

Native Language: Castillan spanish
explorator is on a distinguished road
The Irish from Spain

Probably, those who read this forums, from the United States or from the U.K. or even from Ireland, will be surprised when they know that a viceroy of Peru during the Spanish government period, was named O'Higgins and had been born in Ireland. Probably, the people from Irish origin in the United States ignore, the very special relationship between Spain and Ireland along the History and I was here sat in front of my PC thinking that that's a pity. So I decided to make some questions to the people who read this forums, here they are:

DID YOU KNOW THAT:
During the period from 1602 to 1608, 150.000 Irish people, most of them soldiers, exiled from their own country after the Kinsale Battle, arrived to Spain eager to prepare a new opportunity to fight for their religion and their fatherland? In fact, it was the biggest immigration wave in my country until the present day, when people from Eastern Europe, Africa and America have increased our population in more than five million inhabitants in a time of hardly fifteen years, but this is a different story.
AND DID YOU KNOW:
The Irish people arrived to Spain had a very singular condition. They alleged being heirs of the ancient Milesians , a Gaul tribe who had sailed to Ireland from the Iberian Peninsula before the arrival of the Romans. This detail allowed them to apply for the advantage of being considered Spaniards . A benefit that King Felipe III granted to them. This fact along with their fervent Catholicism, opened the Irish the doors of all the positions at the Spanish civil, religious and military administration in Europe, America and Philippines?
DID YOU ALSO KNOW THAT:
A very remarkable consequence of this, was the Irish soldiers were the only ones who were enlisted in the "Tercios", in spite of not being born in a Spanish territory. The "tercios" were the most elitist and prestigious military units at the Hapsburg Empire, and being part of them was at the same time a challenge and a privilege reserved only to the Spaniards?
DO YOU KNOW THAT:
During the following centuries, some names from Irish origin become well known by the Spanish society, we can mention O'Higgins, Kindelán, O'Donell or O'Shea… as some Irish-Spanish names, who played (or still play nowadays)central roles at the Spanish government and society?