View Single Post
Old May 20, 2009, 08:00 AM
Diamond

Native Language: I can understand Spanish and English
CrOtALiTo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by AutumnBreeze View Post
I was studying the other night when I came across a section in my grammar book that mentioned alternative ways to phrase things in Spanish in light of current debate about gender-inclusive language. Por ejemple:

Los niños empiezan el colegio a los cinco años. (Children start school at age five.)

A more politically correct way to say this would be:

Los niños y las niñas empiezan el colegio a los cinco años.

Now personally, I don't do PC. I just take a look at each unique day with its own unique situations and just go with life in a way that makes sense to me . However, some people are really into the PC thing.

Anyway, in Spanish-speaking cultures is making sure things are gender inclusive more of an issue since the rise of PC culture? Or have you really not noticed that much of a difference where you are?

Just curious . I've gotta run out the door so I'm typing fast. Sorry for any typos or if something I've said does not make sense!
As you have said, the books texts teach you alternatives ways to write the language in different ways, and well, sometimes the books are written for the people who does this books has one preparation before, therefore, I believe that the books are good alternatives to learn whatever, anyway you muss to keep in mind the hints of the people and teachers too.