View Single Post
Old February 15, 2010, 01:43 PM
Diamond

Native Language: American English (Northeastern US)
laepelba is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarmenCarmona View Post
Nativos, nativos!

Vamos a ver... si este es el caso..:

Son ejemplos de setas comestibles el champiñón, el gurumelo, el níscalo, el gallipierno o la oronja. (wikipedia)

...¿cómo se distinguen el uno del otro en inglés?

Porque en los diccionarios pone que both 'seta' y 'champiñón' se dicen: 'mushroom'.
Carmen, if I understand your question, you're asking someone who is a native English-speaker to help you see how we distinguish between different varieties of mushroom. Is that correct?

I have to say that probably 95% of Americans don't care if there is more than one kind of mushroom. Sadly enough. Most people who want to cook with mushrooms just buy generic "mushrooms" in the produce section of the grocery store without questioning the TYPE of mushroom. Probably some Americans would recognize the term "portabello" as a type of mushroom, but couldn't pick one out if they saw one. We're pathetic, aren't we?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelicaDeAlquezar View Post
Dudo que haya un nombre en inglés para cada variedad de hongo que se consume en México... aparte de setas, champiñones y portobellos, hay trompetas, patitas, clavitos, señoritas, mantecosos, yemitas, joletes, orejas, deditos...
...y ni hablar de los alucinógenos y los venenosos.
Yeah, okay, so there are THOSE kinds of mushrooms. But we Yanks would call them "shrooms". Not that I know anything about shrooms.......