View Single Post
Old September 22, 2012, 03:29 PM
Pearl

Native Language: English-US
BenCondor is on a distinguished road
I have to admit I was puzzled by this:
Quote:
The first thing I was taught at the University was that I must forget everything about the subjunctive having something to do with uncertainty, mood, feeling, opinion, etc.
Basically I'd have to disagree, though I would be careful in the choice of words in my disagreement. Probably the most effective test is to ask: "Is the clause in question considered an actual fact by the person reporting the clause? If so, use the indicative. Otherwise (grammar permitting) use the subjunctive"

So: "Creo que el cielo es rojo" Why? Because the person reporting the clause (me) believes it to be true. Now external observers (such as yourself) may disagree and doubt the veracity. But I'm the one reporting it and to me it's a fact. Ergo use indicative.

"Por atrevidos que sean, no van a ganar" Here we use the subjunctive because the narrator (implicit person reporting clause) is not saying that "they" are in fact daring. Maybe none of them are daring. Or maybe all of them are daring. The narrator is not claiming to know. He is simply saying no matter how daring they may be they are not going to win.

Now of course there is more to it than this, especially in identifying where the subjunctive may occur. But I find this test to be effective once you are asking yourself the question of which to use.

Last edited by BenCondor; September 22, 2012 at 03:33 PM.