View Single Post
Old February 23, 2011, 03:16 PM
Opal

Native Language: American English
Thomas is on a distinguished road
I am very fond of southern Argentina. Bariloche is incredible. Paraguay is a twelve month heat wave. Bolivia is great if you are into music. I got charango lessons there for peanuts, and the instructor had done scores for movies. Just don't drink the water or eat the food. Or you will be sooorrryyy! I also like southern Chile as well as Cuenca and Quito. Colombia is nice too. Bogota is a great city. I spent several weeks in Cali. Hot? Sure, but you aren't going to die. Great bookstores and cinemas. Lots of cultural events. I returned last month from Guatemala, Honduras, and Belize. They made me appreciate Costa Rica, although CR certainly isn't a "sucursal del cielo" as some people insist. A "mara" blew up a bus at Christmas to extort money from the transportation companies. Seven deaths. I have yet to find anyone outside of Guate who heard about the incident. In Guatemala I was the target of many random acts of kindness. I was amazed by the courtesy and kindness that strangers showed me. Wonderful memories.

That's another thing: it's one thing to visit a place, and it's quite another to live there. I'd been in seven states in Brazil before going there to live. I had some nasty surprises there with the government, taxation, thefts, people I thought were my friends but weren't, etc. I went with one opinion of Brazil and I left with a very different one.