View Single Post
Old July 21, 2011, 02:12 PM
Diamond

Native Language: Castellano
aleCcowaN is on a distinguished road
What contradicts Wikipedia's article about Belizean Kriol -no wonder-. But the article in Spanish about "lenguas de Belice" goes along with your data (using 2000 census).

Certainly, we could go on and on, as you may see appropriate characterizing Spanish as highly variable geographically the same way I could argue about English spoken in New Orleans -together with Chinese, Italian, Russian and many more- and "me gotta go pole the pirogue down the bayou ... for tonight I'm gonna see mon cher amí-o", together with Cajun form Thibodeaux and all a shade of creoles, native American and assorted astray languages that through just 80 miles ends up with "Isleños", descendant of settlers from Canary Islands who went there 260 years ago and who speak Canarian Spanish today. This certainly involves two million people and not 350,000 Belizeans -7,000 of which speak Mennonite Low German-, but I won't gather from that any anecdotal data about the variability of the English language in a comparatively small area.