View Single Post
Old June 16, 2009, 09:47 PM
Señor Speedy

Native Language: American English
Rusty has a spectacular aura aboutRusty has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrOtALiTo View Post
My laptop's very popular among the pupils from my school.

It's wrong because you taught me that it was poorly written, therefore, I changed the contraction back into discreet words.

But I just saw some movies where the contraction is used as I wrote it before.

I don't know what is happening.

It's also used in some songs. I mean:

'cause
Can't

among others.

Can you please explain it to me?
I'm not sure which contractions you're talking about. We frequently use contractions. There's nothing inherently wrong with using them, but some contractions are not acceptable in everyday speech and some people choose not to use certain contractions. The use of contractions very much depends on who your audience is.

I remember that I provided you with a list of words that can be made into contractions. I also remember that you began inventing contractions, using words which we don't generally see in contractions. Stick to the list I gave you, and have fun!

There's nothing wrong, by the way, with the contractions you wrote above (except for the one I added a 't' to).
The word 'cause isn't a contraction (two words are combined to make a contraction). It's a colloquial way of writing how some people say the word because. Using this can be a sign to others that you're uneducated, so I might have cautioned you about using colloquial writing - like 'cause, wanna, hafta, etc.

If you've other questions, or if I didn't understand what you were asking, let me know.