View Single Post
Old April 18, 2014, 01:03 AM
Pearl

Native Language: English
Aprendo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarnium View Post
Every time there's a news article about the prevalence of Spanish in the U.S., there are always a bunch of commentors who say absurd things like "Mexicans need to assimilate and stop speaking Spanish, it makes me really angry when I see people speaking Spanish at the bus stop" or "Lowe's started putting up signs in Spanish, so I refuse to shop there anymore." These are obviously the most petty of the complaints, but since I don't live near a heavily Hispanic region of the U.S., I wanted to ask; is there really any major inconvenience or hardship to English-speakers caused by people speaking Spanish in the U.S.?
Some people may be prejudiced / biased against Mexicans of Latin American Spanish speakers.

And there are additional issues, IMO.

Spanish speaking in the US has political connotations with the recent illegal immigration, amnesties, political power of illegals, and La Raza.

I am studying Spanish again with a great teacher and preparing for DELE this year. I also hope to travel to Mexico to improve my Spanish next fall by spending 5 weeks in Mexico.

I separate the language from the political aspects.

In addition to loving the Spanish language, having Spanish ability can be practical for certain jobs.

Good posts on this thread.

Yes, as a poster noted, Americans can be a little prickly when it comes to non-English being spoken. Any foreign language.

As for the post about work, I can see why companies want an "English only" policy for communication purposes.