Thread: Mismo
View Single Post
Old July 27, 2009, 10:55 PM
Sapphire

Native Language: Dutch
EmpanadaRica is on a distinguished road
Hola Angelica!!
¡¡¡Muchas gracias por toda tu ayuda y las explicaciones!!!
De hecho eres una angelita

Quote:
Es el mismo' - but 'y su uso propio' - not ' y su uso mismo' - right, or wrong? I'm not sure I understand your question here... "Es el mismo" means it's the same... (it needs either something said before or a complement: "the same jacket", "the same place"...)
"Su uso propio" and "su uso mismo" also need some context or complement. "La biblioteca es para uso propio de los estudiantes" (it's the students who will use it).
But "su uso mismo" is not related to "su uso propio": "Las drogas dañan la salud. Su uso mismo está prohibido". (The use of drugs itself is forbidden).
Sorry yes, I should have complemented the sentence, sorry! I did intend it exactly how you interpreted it.

I hadn' t come across ' su uso mismo' yet, this is very good, thank you for explaining. I will try to make a structure for myself with Dutch and/ or English equivalents so this will hopefully give me more insight into when to use which.

The way I read it at the moment (but this may vary depending on context I am aware of this!) would be:
'su uso propio' would be more or less translated as 'it is intended/ meant for' or ' aimed at' or (in a wide sense) 'belonging to, pertaining to'?
Whereas ' su uso mismo' would be more like 'in and of itself' ' it's mere use' for example?

Quote:
' Me da igual' but not ' me da lo mismo' ? Although in most cases I suppose ' igual' and ' mismo' can be used interchangeably..?

"Me da igual" and "me da lo mismo" can be used interchangeably and both mean "I don't care".
Ok that' s very good to know, thanx!! I hadn't come across 'me da lo mismo' yet, and I was wondering why not. This makes a lot more sense!

Quote:

I don't think I can give any rules. The continuous use of the words and the contexts will show you how to use them. Try to write many sentences with different examples and you'll start seeing the nuances between them.
Ok fair enough (you have to admit, it was worth a shot )

It' s actually very good advice, I think I will do exactly that!! Just take a topic like this and try to make some sentences to see if I am grasping the differences correctly ¡¡Gracias!! ¡¡ Me has ayudado muchisimo!!