View Single Post
Old February 02, 2009, 05:29 PM
Diamond

Native Language: American English (Northeastern US)
laepelba is on a distinguished road
I'm still working through this, slowly but surely.

Where I wrote about meeting some people at the conference who have become close friends, you changed it to: "...nos hicimos muy buenas amigas." Now, I have only a very little understanding of the Spanish verb tenses beyond the present. But I thought that the preterite tense (isn't "hicimos" preterite?) means that something happened once in the past. So why wouldn't it be better to say "...nos hacíamos muy buenas amigas" - in the imperfect (?) to indicate that it was a process (albeit a quick one) to become good friends with these people?

A few sentences later, I wrote "Quisieran que se ofreciera voluntariamente para trabajar en una conferencia en la Ciudad de México en mayo..." You changed it to "Nos gustaría que se ofreciera trabajo voluntario en una conferencia en la Ciudad de México en mayo..." I meant to say that THEY want ME to volunteer at a conference in Mexico City. So, using your construction, would "Me gustarían que se ofreciera trabajo voluntario......." be a correct re-statement of this idea?

More questions will follow. Thank you again and again!!

Last edited by laepelba; February 02, 2009 at 05:30 PM. Reason: added italics