Thread: Tilde
View Single Post
Old June 11, 2008, 09:33 PM
Rusty's Avatar
Rusty Rusty is offline
Señor Speedy
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: USA
Posts: 10,842
Native Language: American English
Rusty has a spectacular aura aboutRusty has a spectacular aura about
Tilde is what we say in English for the squiggley mark over the letter ñ. We get our word from the Spanish word.
La tilde, or un acento ortográfico, is used to mark certain vowels. There's a good write-up here about how to use them.
Words that need to distinguished, because they are homonyms, carry a tilde, too, but this is called un acento diacrítica.

A couple of sources say the squiggley mark over the ñ is also called la tilde, while others say it is called la virgulilla. Let's see what Alfonso calls it.
Reply With Quote