View Single Post
Old May 19, 2010, 08:09 AM
Opal

Native Language: English
WanderlustWhispers is on a distinguished road
Hello from Florida! :-)

Hello all,

I've been lurking around this board for a while reading past posts and getting a feel for the layout. I must say that I am in total AWE and AMAZEMENT at the skill level of so many people on this board. I have wanted to learn a second language for most of my life and after finding this board...I think it may be possible.

I've decided to buckle down and try my hand at Spanish. I would like to learn Spanish for several reasons. #1 I love the study of foreign languages and I believe Spanish would be those most useful to me as I reside in Florida. #2 I spent a month in Spain and do not feel that I got the most out of my trip due to the language barriers. #3 I hope to practice International Law and knowing Spanish will open up many opportunities for me. And #4 I look forward to all of the cultural and artistic experiences that await upon me getting a descent grasp on the Spanish language.

So far, my strategy is: FSI Programmatic Volumes 1 & 2 while doing Pimsleur Conversational 1 (borrowed from the library). Afterwards I will embark on FSI Basic Volumes 1,2,3 & 4 while also utilizing Teach Yourself software. I will also utilize online sites/novellas such as Destinos and BBC resources.

I hope to study 2 hours daily if not more. After spending 3 years in law school and studying for 12 hours a day during bar exam prep, I know that I can study for longer blocks of time if need be.

I’m keeping a blog of my journey and hope to meet new friends and give support to others that are embarking on this adventure. :-)

Take care!

Wanderlust Whispers (Monica)

Last edited by WanderlustWhispers; May 19, 2010 at 10:02 AM.